1986 FIFA World Cup Mexico
- When: 31 May 1986 to 29 June 1986
- Final: 29 June 1986
- Matches: 52
- Goals Scored: 132 (average 2.5 per match)
- Attendance: 2393331 (average 46025)
- Teams: 24
- Korea Republic
- Germany FR
- Northern Ireland
- Soviet Union
Argentina (1) 3-2 (0) Germany FR
France (2 [1st]) (2 [2nd]) 4-2 a.e.t (2 [2nd]) (1 [1st]) Belgium
Argentina (0) 2-0 (0) Belgium
France (0) 0-2 (1) Germany FR
- adidas Golden Shoe: Gary LINEKER (6 goals) England
- Emilio BUTRAGUENO (5 goals) Spain
- CARECA (5 goals) (Brazil)
- Diego MARADONA (5 goals) (Argentina)
- Igor BELANOV (4 goals) (Soviet Union)
FOR YOUR INFO
- The Final between Argentina and Germany FR was a record 19th FIFA World Cup™ finals match played at the Azteca stadium, which hosted ten games in 1970.
- Nobody has played less finals minutes than Argentina's Marcelo Trobbiani, whose only run out came after an 88th minute introduction in the 1986 Final.
- Brazil spoiled Pat Jennings' 41st birthday by beating Northern Ireland, but Michel Platini helped France eliminate the Seleção on his 31st birthday.
- An England substitution in their game against Morocco presented commentators with a problem - it left them with two Gary Stevens' on the pitch!
- After scoring nine minutes from time in the 1982 Final, Italy forward Alessandro Altobelli bagged the opening goal of Mexico 86 against Bulgaria.
Post a Comment