1954 FIFA World Cup Switzerland
- When: 16 June 1954 to 04 July 1954
- Final: 04 July 1954
- Matches: 26
- Goals Scored: 140 (average 5.4 per match)
- Attendance: 889500 (average 34211)
- Teams: 16
- Korea Republic
- Germany FR
Germany FR (2) 3-2 (2) Hungary
Austria (1) 3-1 (1) Uruguay
Germany FR (1) 6-1 (0) Austria
Hungary (1 [1st]) (2 [2nd]) 4-2 a.e.t (2 [2nd]) (0 [1st]) Uruguay
- Golden Shoe: Sandor KOCSIS (11 goals) (Hungary)
- Sepp HUEGI (6 goals) (Switzerland)
- Erich PROBST (6 goals) (Austria)
- Max MORLOCK (6 goals) (Germany FR)
- Ferenc PUSKAS (4 goals) (Hungary)
- Hungary scored 25 goals in four matches to progress to the Final, 18 more than England netted in five games en route to the deciding match in 1966.
- 1930 and 1950 champions Uruguay lost their first FIFA World Cup™ match when they were beaten by Hungary 4-2 after extra time in the semi-finals.
- Switzerland took a 3-0 lead over Austria in their quarter-final, but the Austrians recovered to win 7-5. The 12-goal game remains a tournament record.
- Turkey's Mamat Suat scored within ten minutes of his two FIFA World Cup™ appearances, a 4-1 loss to Germany FR and a 7-0 reverse of Korea Republic.
- Group 4 comprised Switzerland, England, Italy and Belgium, the only time a first phase group has consisted entirely of teams from the same continent.
Post a Comment