1934 FIFA World Cup Italy
- When: 27 May 1934 to 10 June 1934
- Final: 10 June 1934
- Matches: 17
- Goals Scored: 70 (average 4.1 per match)
- Attendance: 358000 (average 21058)
- Teams: 16
Italy (o [1st]) (1 [2nd]) 2-1 a.e.t (1 [2nd]) (0 [1st]) Czechoslovakia
Germany (3) 3-2 (1) Austria
Czechoslovakia (1) 3-1 (0) Germany
Italy (1) 1-0 (0) Austria
- Golden Shoe: Oldrich NEJEDLY (5 goals) (Czechoslovakia)
- Edmund CONEN (4 goals) (Germany)
- Angelo SCHIAVIO (4 goals) (Italy)
- Leopold KIELHOLZ (3 goals) (Switzerland)
- Raimundo ORSI (3 goals) (Italy)
- Brazil took 11 days to arrive in Italy by ship, only to be eliminated in their first match by Spain, who had joined them on board along the way.
- Egypt became the first African side to compete at the finals. It was another 36 years before the continent was next represented at the tournament.
- Aldo Donelli, who scored the USA's solitary goal during the competition, was also a prominent american football player who later coached in the NFL.
- For the only time, both finalists were captained by goalkeepers, Giampiero Combi and Frantisek Planicka leading Italy and Czechoslovakia respectively.
- Luisito Monti, a losing finalist for Argentina in 1930, helped Italy win the 1934 Final. Atilio Demaria was his squad-mate on both occasions.
Post a Comment