1978 FIFA World Cup Argentina
- When: 01 June 1978 to 25 June 1978
- Final: 25 June 1978
- Matches: 38
- Goals Scored: 102 (average 2.7 per match)
- Attendance: 1546151 (average 40688)
- Teams: 16
- Germany FR
Argentina (1 [1st]) (1 [2nd]) 3-1 a.e.t (1 [2nd]) (0 [1st]) Netherland
Brazil (0) 2-1 (1) Italy
- Golden Shoe: Mario KEMPES (6 goals) (Argentina)
- Teofilo CUBILLAS (5 goals) (Peru)
- Rob RENSENBRINK (5 goals) (Netherland)
- Leopoldo LUQUE (4 goals) (Argentina)
- Hans KRANKL (4 goals) (Austria)
FOR YOUR INFO
- Argentina, the Netherlands and Brazil, the gold, silver and bronze medalists respectively, all finished as runners-up in their first phase groups.
- An own goal by the Netherlands' Ernie Brandts put Italy ahead in their second round tie, before he scored at the right end to help the Dutch win 2-1.
- With his side trailing 1-0, Peru goalkeeper Ramon Quiroga received an 89th minute booking for a foul on Grzegorz Lato - inside the Polish half!
- Laszlo Kiss became the first substitute to net a hat-trick, the fastest in finals history, to help Hungary post a record 10-1 win over El Salvador.
- Norberto Alonso, an attacking midfielder, wore the No1 jersey for champions Argentina after their squad numbers were determined alphabetically.
Post a Comment